Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Books on Fish and the Oceans Natural Resources

I have been thinking a lot about books lately.


This week (I hope) probably by Saturday or worse case, by next Monday my book "Undercover" should be available on Amazon. As I have written earlier it details my 5 plus years with the HSUS and my work there from 2000-2005 and my fall from grace. It was very cathartic for to write and I am sure seeing it in print is going to generate no small amount of personal satisfaction. 


I read a lot of books both fiction and non-fiction. I always have. Recently I just finished two books I feel should be added to anyone who cares about the world's oceans and fisheries reading list.


The first is entitled "Four Fish, The Future of the Last Wild Food". It is written by Paul Greenburg. It provides a fresh perspective on the relationship humans have with the oceans and the creatures that inhabit those oceans. 


The second book is entitled "The Most Important Fish in the Sea" by H. Bruce Franklin.


It is the story of a small but decidedly important species of fish called menhaden. Franklin is an accomplished historian and the history of the menhaden provides a fascinating story. 


I don't do book reviews or critiques. I don't feel I need someone to tell me in advance if a book is good or not. That is partly why I read, to learn and to form my own opinions. (I also read for my own entertainment).


Today, with the electronic media (which includes everything from TV to the Internet) having an increasingly negative impact on independent and critical thinking (in my opinion) I feel reading is more important then ever to increasing one's knowledge base and in forming one's opinions. I have very strong views against letting others, under the guise of news or entertainment, tell us what to think and believe. 


For me both of the above books fulfill both purposes admirably. I learned a great deal and my own opinions were altered slightly after reading each. 


Joining a list of such titles as "Cod, the Fish that Changed the World" (still the best of this genre in my opinion again) , and "The Secret Life of Lobsters", and "The Founding Fish" (the story of shad), these books all provide the reader with a brilliant combination of facts while telling their respective stories in an entertaining fashion. 


Most importantly while each author has their own perspective all of these books ultimately leave it to the reader to draw their own conclusions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment