Thursday, December 4, 2014

Thoughts on What is Important


I am in my new house and I have my cats and my dogs with me so do not think this blog is a whiny one.

Since the time I was 22 years old I have wanted to make a difference in the world. 

It started with my disgust and revulsion over how we treat our pets. 

We, a developed leading nation, kill millions of dogs and cats a year simply because we refuse to give them non-human rights and make it illegal to breed them without a guarantee of a home.

Then I looked at hunting. I hunted. As a kid growing up in Virginia, I was forced to hunt. It is disgusting, killing a life for fun, (and don't even try the argument I eat what I kill) is grotesque. 

Then I traveled the world. 

I went from a "dumb ass red neck" in Virginia to an educated world traveler, and as my late wife called me, became an "erudite redneck". 

I saw the global picture. 

I started out believing the guy who killed the elephant for 20 dollars for a tusk was the criminal. 

Then I learned the corporate CEO who flew in private planes while exploiting the world's resources were the real criminals and they were being aided and abetted by the governments of the world.

So, I set out 15 years ago to see if I could make a difference. 

Along the way I lost my wife and best friend to cancer. 

I have risked every nickel I owned to make my vision work. 

I have developed a persona of loneliness to be able to stay above the emotions and keep my eye on the end goal. 

Some one once said, "the only thing that allows evil to exist is for good men to do nothing."

GBT is going to break big and impressive in 2015. 

The real impact of what we have spent 15 years and 75 million US dollars developing will not be felt probably until long after I am dead.

It has been a few days over three months since Lori died and everyday I miss her. 

Our life together was not perfect, in fact it was a bit dysfunctional. 

But like the current popular song says, "my family is dysfunctional  but we have a good time killing each other." I miss Lori every day.

I am determined, even obsessed, to do something that can show the world that you can make a difference. 

In the next few weeks and months I am going to get more aggressive.

Has anyone even noticed that last week, India, has declared dolphins as "non-human persons" worthy of moral consideration?

Does anyone understand that the reason oil is $65 a barrel is because war is no longer the way to deal with thugs like Putin, but economy is?

Does anyone understand that without food and water, oil and gas, and beach houses are meaningless?

Does anyone get the fact that the world is no longer American -centric?

The world is totally inter connected which means inter-dependent. 

The insanity of "ISIS" and the foolishness of fundamentalism be it Christian or Islam or anything is that they are all dinosaurs. 

They are extinct and they just do not realize it. 

A few weeks ago not long after Lori died I received a vitriolic e-mail from the wife of a "very real friend."

In this e-mail she accused me of betraying my friend. 

Her e-mail was so hurtful, so filled with un-truths, so wrong at every level, I wanted to write back in kind. 

But I did not. 

I would like to think that finally after decades of being a total asshole, my wife has, finally from heaven above, looked down and is guiding me to do the right thing, not the "make me feel good thing" that I used to do.

So tonight I want to leave all of you with a great and warm story.

Charm, my Arabian mare I have had in my life for 29 years recently lost her buddy, a gelding of the last 4 years.

She was depressed, but through the wonderful kindness of Betty Davis, who takes care of Lori's and my two horses (Charm and Annie)  Charm found another friend, and she is no longer alone.

Maybe the secret to happiness or at least contentment is just that simple. 

Do not be alone. 

Charm and her new friend.













1 comment:

  1. The human element has disappeared in the face of American greed.

    ReplyDelete