Thursday, November 3, 2011

Cancer and Friends

I hate cancer. I can't write a lot about this as I am still too upset. Here is the bad news quickly. Two days ago an MRI showed that Lori's triple negative breast cancer has come back in three small lesions in her brain.


Not good. After twenty four hours of pure panic as she was told she had about two months to get her affairs in order, I got a flight home and now for the past 24 hours I have been frantically sending out SOS's to all of my friends trying to find 1) a more hopeful future prognosis and 2) develop a practical "go forward" treatment strategy that has a realistic chance of extending her life and maybe, giving her the time for the doctors to find some type of cure.


I have great friends. Randy and Diane Strauss, Dick and Lorene Monroe, Jim Salmon, John Aquilino and his friend, Mary, Dave Sollman, and more all of whom have been incredible in tackling this head on.


Right now the consensus from the doctors is that Lori has to take 13 treatments (1 a day for 13 business days) of full brain radiation. She can do that here in Maryland. After that she has four weeks to let the radiation try and do its thing before she can schedule another MRI. Once that MRI is read, and we see if the brain lesions are still there (and the odds are they will be) I think we are going to have to get her admitted into MD Anderson in Houston. They are the best and they are the best equipped to deal with alternative treatments in triple negative breast cancer.


Without my friends and their efforts I would not have been able to develop such a possible strategy so quickly. Without their help I may not be able to get her admitted. With their help and influence I think we will get her there and then I think we have a good chance at extending her life while doctors seek a real cure. I hate cancer but thank God (on my knees and seeking his mercy) for good, intelligent, and caring friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment