Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Disjointed


Sometimes when your plate is so full it is very hard to lay out a cogent train of thought.

I often turn to this blog late at night as sort of a catharsis. 

I was always a fan of Virginia Woolf and James Joyce and Proust and of course for me, the best example of "stream of consciousness" writing in the 20th century William Faulkner's " The Sound and the Fury".

I have always admired those artists who mastered that technique.

Sometimes the best way to convey one's thoughts is just to " go with it". 

So, in that vein, here are some thoughts disjointed as they may be tonight.

The shrimp project is finally getting exciting again. In the pilot module the post larvae are growing better than ever and are ready to stock next week. They are very robust and active and give me strong reason to think that once we are at commercial production levels we will improve upon our original grow out time estimates. 


The search for a permanent site on which to put a full farm is going well. We are closing in on one of three potential sites, any of which could be very good for our project. I hope to make a choice on the final site within three weeks.

The weather the past week has had torrential down pours. The facility has not been affected but a lot of standing water around the production module.




I finally committed to having south Texas be my base of operations for the next few years. So, that being my decision I bought a house. 

I think for south Texas it is very Key West looking and reminds me of a place Hemingway, one of my literary and real life heroes, might have lived. 


It sets on a beautiful canal on the bay of side of South Padre and I must say, it suits me.

While I love my house in Maryland and have no intention of selling it, I think for the next few years this will serve me well.

I am already feeding a family of baby possums out the back door near the boat dock so it feels right that I should reside here. 



Not a great picture but they are very shy. 

This is the runt (face toward the camera) I named Trinket. She comes to the food I put out every night about 8:30 PM within about 1 minute. How cute is that? 

I am very pleased with the financial team working on securing our finding to finance our production expansion. It is a very special blessing to work with people you trust, admire, and like. 

I am cautiously optimistic we have a great engineering team. The first month working with them has been very positive.

It is never easy to bring an emerging or even new technology into the mainstream and this effort has been fraught with a roller coaster of highs and lows. 

That said, we are currently on a high and this system will revolutionize aquaculture, there is no longer any doubt of that. 

We will succeed, it is no longer an "if", now is just a question of "when". 

I need to get Lori's "chemo" treatments moved so she can spend the fall and winter with me here on SPI. The cold in Maryland is just too damaging to her as she fights this evil bastard called cancer.

I am also working with some very wonderful friends of influence to get Lori access to the ImMucin vaccine in clinical trails in Israel. It has been frustrating to date but we will make this happen and happen soon.

Lori is too great a person to leave this world prematurely. 

(And cancer is just too damn evil to let it win. Not with her involved).

As I was speaking of Hemingway earlier in this rambling blog, I just remembered, recently I asked one of our financial partners (and a guy I really am growing to like as a friend) to read Hemingway's classic short story , "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber". 

Do your self a favor, if you have never read it download it tomorrow and get to it.

If you have read it but like me it has been years, get it and re-read it. It has a lot of life's lessons and it is a brilliant story. 

I am glad college football is back but wish Michigan looked a little more formidable.

I am still working to much and stressing too much and I have not figured out how to have a life and de-stress, but I am thinking about how to do so with much more focus. 

I turned 60 recently and at 60 there are definitely more "leaves on the ground than on the tree". 

That said I am still looking to the next adventure, the next challenge, and the next success. 

First, I have help Lori beat this cancer demon. Everything else pales to that challenge. 

Ok, tonight the blog helped. I feel better just dumping everything out in a disjointed fashion.

Going to watch the end of "Big Jake" with John Wayne and go to bed. 

Tomorrow it starts all over again.















No comments:

Post a Comment