Monday, September 10, 2012

Stress and De-Stressing



I know it has been said that stress is life's way of letting you know you are alive.

That said, I get it. 

I know I am alive and I could really do with a little less stress.

There are a lot of different ways to relive stress.

Exercise works if you are up for it. I used to run 25-35 miles a week. These days I do more walking than running but I still get in a lot of miles weekly. 

It helps somewhat. 

So, does college football. I must admit I love watching college football. While I obviously support and live and die with the Michigan Wolverines, my alma mater, truth me told, I love watching just about every college team out there.

Yes, I know it is big business, etc., but the games are to me at least very exciting most of the time. 

 I also like pro football ( though not quite as much as I enjoy college football). 

The Washington Redskins have been my team for over 40 years.

They had a great opening game with their new young quarterback Robert Griffin the Third, or "RG3". Big win over the New Orleans Saints yesterday. 

This evening thinking about everything that we have to get done over the next few weeks for the business, finding a site, getting permits, finishing construction drawings, going through bid process, I started to stress out a bit too much.

While getting Lori's cancer under control and working to get her the ImMucin vaccine ASAP is obviously the greatest stress factor in my life and my number one priority, the world of bills and business does not let you take a time out, life and life's issues continue.

So, stressing out and despite everything I have to do, I decided to  turn on the TV and am watching the Baltimore Ravens play the Cincinnati Bengals in Baltimore. 

It is kind of a neat "deja vu" since I was just in Baltimore about 10 days ago.

And I have poured an adult beverage (or two) another great temporary stress reliever as long as you don't over do it. 

I prefer a simple splash of bourbon over ice. I like a small batch bourbon called "Woodford's Reserve". 

History tells us bourbon was the only distilled spirit invented in the USA. 

Supposedly John Wayne liked his bourbon which of course, makes it more than good enough for me as a drink. (If the Duke liked anything there is a good chance, I will love it).

Drinking alcohol always brings a few famous sayings to mind that make me smile and as a consequence seems to reduce my stress. 

WC Fields is always a good source for drinking quotes.

Here are three quotes of his that come to mind. 

"I only drink to make other people seem interesting". (Hemingway reputedly said something quite similar).

"I only drink in case of snakebite, but admittedly I carry a snake everywhere". 

"Many years ago a young woman put me on the path to drink and I regret to this day I never had the courtesy to thank her for it". 

And of course there is Churchill's famous response to being called drunk by an English woman of note. " I may indeed be drunk tonight Madam but you are ugly. And tomorrow I shall be sober but you shall still be ugly". 

And from Oscar Wilde: “After the first glass, you see things as you wish they were. After the second, you see things as they are not. Finally, you see things as they really are, and that is the most horrible thing in the world.”

And finally from J.R.R. Tolkien: " Ho, Ho, Ho. To the bottle I go. To heal my heart and drown my woe, Rain may fall, and wind may blow, And many miles be still to go, But under a tall tree will I lie, And let the clouds go sailing by". 

I feel less stressed already.










No comments:

Post a Comment