Thursday, January 31, 2013

Random Thoughts on the Last Day of the Month


Ok, it is the last day of the first month of 2013.

How fast did this go?

I mean really, I am starting to sound like my grandfather but shit, time seems to be racing by.

I was home in Maryland from the 21st through the 29th. My red doberman, Mae, is still going strong. She is almost 16, impossible but true.

She came to our family while we still lived in Beallsville and that was over 15 years ago.

She is and will be, my last big dog.

I am down to my last few weeks in the RGV. I expect to move my base of operations to Corpus Christi, Texas by the end of February.

My son, Stephen and I will be house hunting this Saturday, in the Corpus area.

Lots happening.

Should get the engineering report on our proposed site next week. Preliminary results look excellent. If the engineers say OK, we should close on the land in February. Maybe as early as the 24th. Then it is truly, "balls to the wall" to start construction.

Lori's next big days are the 12th and 13th of February. New MRI's and new CT's will tell us if the lesion in her brain is passive, shrinking, or progressing. Regardless of the outcome we have a definitive strategy to "go to" for the next fight.

Hard to believe it has been 15 months since she was diagnosed with metastatic brain cancer.

Learning to live with cancer is a true art form. My grandmother always said, "God never gives you more than you can handle". That is probably true, but it is amazing what you can learn to handle.  

If you have not read any books by Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston, or Jim Butcher, or Christopher Moore, you are cheating yourself and not availing yourself of ways to recharge your batteries for life's challenges. 

Flying to Des Moines, Iowa for a meeting on the 7th. Love Des Moines. One of the last great steak houses in the world is there. The 801 "ChopHouse" Restaurant is a throwback to the golden years of great food and greater bars. 

It is too bad that a few good drinks and a good steak has become politically incorrect. 

I remember another story about my grandmother.

Once my dad was giving my grandmother (his mother) some good natured grief implying she was a hypocrite.

My grandmother, who was a God fearing Baptist was getting agitated as the old man gave her crap about taking money in the collection plate from all the old drunks, adulterers, and other sinners who came together church on Sunday morning. 

As Grandma grew red in the face I thought, "wow, looks like the old man has her on the defensive". But I was so wrong.

After about three minutes of constant heckling Grandma whirled around and stood about two inches from my Dad's face and said, "Let me tell you something Roy Lee, there is nothing wrong with taking the devil's money to use it to kick him out of hell". 

How true is that ?????

















No comments:

Post a Comment