Friday, February 22, 2013

STREP



OK, it finally got to me. 

The stress of trying to find a treatment that holds some hope of putting Lori's cancer into remission, the pressure of the project, the upcoming relocation of of the company's base of operations, all the hours on airplanes and in airports, and more, it all combined and came together to allow some ugly little virus to find a "chink" in my normally very robust immune system

I am just re-emerging into the land of the living after 5 days of being knocked on my butt by the flu.

To be more precise I started coming down with flu like symptoms a week ago on Sunday afternoon, and by Monday morning my throat was on fire, vertigo was making it impossible to drive, and I felt weak and hot and flushed, well you know the drill.

I hauled myself to the clinic early Monday morning and was diagnosed with a severe case of "strep" (streptococcus) throat and some version of the flu. I was given a loading dose of antibiotics via injection (hurt like hell), put on massive daily oral antibiotics, and also given a prescription of codeine based cough syrup which was the only pleasurable part of the treatment.  

I was told to go home, rest, and stay hydrated. Well, I can tell you I don't really remember the next three days. I remember sleeping, a multitude of strange and unsettling dreams, and long bouts of sadness. followed by brief moments of nervous anxieties.

Having a virus invade your body is not a positive experience.

While bed ridden I did manage to read the new book by Stephen Hunter, "The Third Bullet" which I really enjoyed, despite being so sick.

Hunter is the author of a series of books based on the fictional character Bob Lee Swagger, gotta love that name. Bob Lee is a retired military sniper and all the books revolve around the author's deep and detailed knowledge of all things "guns". 

If you saw the movie "shooter" with Mark Walhberg, that was adapted from a Stephen Hunter book.

Anyhow in this latest Bob Lee Swagger adventure he creates a fascinating story of who really killed JFK on November 22, 1963 and shows how in minute detail it was done.

It kept my attention each page. 

With this being the 50th year since that fateful day in Dallas, it was a very timely subject.

The book never disappoints and if you are a student of history, a gun guy, or just like a good read, I highly recommend this book.

In any case, like a field of clover starting to bloom after being pummeled to the ground by a heavy summer thunderstorm, my body and my mind are starting to feel strong again. 

I am emerging from 5 days of battling this virus with a clearer head, a stronger immune system, and a renewed burst of energy. I am once again convinced that things will work out, if you just stay focused and put out the energy and effort necessary to move mountains.

Which, is after all, kind of what life is all about for each of us.



No comments:

Post a Comment