Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Philosophy


I studied philosophy at the University of Michigan back in the day.


Philosophy is supposed to be the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence. 


No one truly appreciates the practical value of studying philosophy these days. 

  The comedian Steve Martin, a philosophy major himself, put the study of philosophy in the proper context for modern times.

Years ago when being interviewed (by Rolling Stone magazine) he was asked why in the world he studied philosophy as it had absolutely no application to every day life in the modern age.

Martin's reply (which to me was brilliant) was such. 

"If you study mathematics by the time you are 30 you cannot balance your checkbook. If you study biology by the age of 25 you cannot remember a single muscle group in a frog. But, if you study philosophy your mind is screwed up for the rest of your life." 

As I coast into old age, one philosopher whose words deeply resonate with me is the Greek philosopher, Epicurus. 

One of my favorite Epicurus quotes is:

"It is not the young man who should be considered fortunate but the old man who has lived well, because the young man in his prime wanders much by chance, vacillating in his beliefs, while the old man has docked in the harbor, having safeguarded his true happiness."

Aristotle, another favorite philosopher of mine once wrote that the pursuit of man is all about finding happiness.

After 6 decades on this earth I have come to believe that "happiness" is indeed a worthy goal to seek, as we try and figure out why we are here and what existence really is all about.

I guess my "long time coming" but now growing epiphany is that for me happiness does not seem to come with grand events or huge accomplishments as I once believed, but with small daily acts of kindness and friendship that form the foundation of my existence. 

It is these special moments with those I love and that love me in return that lets me recharge my batteries and gives me the strength and energy to face the travails of life.  

I was home the past week in Maryland. 
Despite the weather throwing me a curve dumping about 3 inches of snow on the ground a week after Spring had officially begun, the greater part of my trip was spent spending time with my dogs, my cats, my parrot, Lori, Stephen, and Victoria, Stephen's girlfriend, simply enjoying the normal ebb and flow of daily family life.


In any event, I found quite a few moments of real happiness this past week. 

(Here are a few of my family members watching "The Big Theory" with me last week).






No comments:

Post a Comment