Friday, January 16, 2015

Musings late on a Friday night in Maryland


I have been in Maryland the past week at my home in North Potomac.

Still feels strange being here without Lori.

Also, it is the first time in 30 years that I spent time in one of my homes with no animals.

Thank goodness the possums and raccoons and deer all hang out in the yard, they remind me of what is important in life.

Been doing an enormous amount of research on certain species of fin fish that I believe will have the ability to be produced in our system.

It is amazing the amount of stupidity being written in the literature out there, especially that from so called "experts"
and noted academic powerhouses.

Who was it that said "the only thing we learn from history is that we do not learn from history" ?  Whoever he was, he was a damned smart guy. 

These open net pens, these restocking schemes, and everything in between fail to address the magnitude of the damage we have and are doing to the ocean, fail to address the pollution and by catch issues, fail to understand the enormity of the food needs for the world's population, and so forth and so on.

It is now being said so often that people no longer even listen, but "future wars will not be fought over religion and money and fuel but over food and water."

In any case I am (as usual) underwhelmed by the intelligence quotient in the literature so I have decided to use tonight's blog to remind myself of the good things in my life and I will worry about saving the world again starting Monday.

One very wonderful thing I forgot to mention is that Stephen, my son, and Victoria, got formally engaged over Christmas. Below is a picture of the three of us in Vegas over Christmas with Piglet, my first grand child. 


I also saw my horses this week. Every time I come back to Maryland I promised Lori I would take carrots to Charm and Annie. I have written a lot about Charm who I have had for 28 and 1/2 years but Lori and I rescued Annie about 15 years ago. She is a sweetheart and when she sees me drive up in Lori's G-Wagon she comes flying through the field to get a carrot from the window of the vehicle.

This is a picture taken yesterday of a muddy but happy Annie. 


Speaking of animals Lori and I rescued over the years, our last two cats Oliver (20 years old) and Wigs (19 years old) made it to Texas and are now full time with me in the house there.

This is Oliver and I think you would agree he seems to be quite comfortable in his Texas residence. (that is Bunnie in the foreground and she is not happy when someone tries to take her picture).


I could not resist taking the picture last week of gas prices in Rockport, Texas.


Do you remember when the politicians and world leaders talked of $5.00 a gallon gas and that we would run out of fossil fuel by 2027? 

I think it was Will Rogers who said, "the way you know a politician is lying is that his lips are moving."

I used to let stuff like this bother me but frankly now in the words of Rhett Butler, "I don't give a damn." 

The picture below is the face of a little bundle of life and love that has had more of an impact on my life than gas prices, business, and even taxes. She was the last rescue Lori and I adopted and she came after Lori got cancer in February 2011. 

We really did not want to keep her knowing what Lori was facing, but in hindsight thank the good Lord we did. She has brought and continues to bring more joy into my life and every life that she touches than all of the gold owned by Midas.

Her name is Rebel Jean and yes, she is named after Lori.


And finally tonight, because despite everything that I could think of to bring my mood down, by thinking of Rebel Jean, my dogs, my cats, my horses, (Lily, our parrot), Annie, Lori, Stephen and Victoria and Piglet and the future of GBT and the great team I have around me and the friends I am blessed to have, I perked up.

So, in celebration of my good mood and positive moment, I will leave you with a great statement of fact sent to me a few weeks ago by one of our key investors and team members, and good friends,  Steve Groe.

I smiled when I first read it and then decided it was more than amusing, but actually it is a great insight into life. 


Now that is a piece of knowledge that rings true. 










No comments:

Post a Comment