Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Gift called Today

I have come to realize dealing with the injustices that life throws at you can be daunting but truthfully, that is just life. 

People think "surviving" is defined as "overcoming what life throws at you". 

It is not. 

Surviving is about "overcoming your own fears, frailties, and weaknesses so you can persevere through what life will surely throw at you". 

Life is fleeting and today is a gift, that is why (as I have said before) they call today "the present". The past is behind you and only provides memories, and the future is always uncertain, subject to multiple outcomes, so all you really have, all you can really enjoy and relish is the moment, which is today. 

Lori came to visit the project in Texas this past weekend. 




I watched Lori laugh and smile and enjoy her life for three days this weekend despite the fact she is facing the most difficult threat she could have ever imagined. Having triple negative breast cancer is a terrible burden to carry. While any breast cancer is terrifying for any woman, triple negative has its own special brand of hell.

I thought for a second what would I do if I lost her to cancer. That momentary fear almost made me pass out.  

Then I realized that today "she is here" and that by thinking the negative thoughts of "what if" or "what could be", I was losing the joy and beauty of the moment. 

For me, that is the secret to living and living well. Embracing the magic of the moment. 

Sadly most people never get it. It took me a long time, longer then I like to admit to realize that every trial and tribulation that comes along in life is just an affirmation you are alive. 

Relish the moment. Plan as best one can for the future, learn from the past, but never lose sight that life's beauty is seen today. 

It is a true gift, this moment they call "the present".

No comments:

Post a Comment