Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Personal Musings on a Tuesday Morning



I am reading a new author (new to me at least) and I came across a line in one of his books that for me rang with such a clarity of truth and insight that it brought me great comfort to know that others feel as I have felt at times about the mystery of our existence.


The line was,  " ...and he pondered humanity's wraith-like state, doomed to live a half life somewhere between the absurdity of physical existence and the shadowy quagmire of spiritual truth."


The author's name is Layton Green and I am pretty sure he is going to become the newest addition to my stable of regular authors. His words seem to reflect a view of reality that is very akin to my own view. 


Lori has her next check-up at MD Anderson in two weeks. We are praying that her cancer is still at bay. Please for all of you who have been praying for her do not stop. Cancer is a terribly evil thing but in just the past year I have seen countless cases where miracles have occurred where people with no hope are defying the odds and are thriving, and the only explanation is "prayer". 


I just received this week's issue of "Bloomberg Business week". I have no idea of how I got on this publication's mailing list but in the past 6 weeks that I have been getting this magazine in the mail, it has become of one of my highly anticipated weekly events. The articles are well researched, insightful, and the topics covered in each issue are far reaching and comprehensive. 


I saw the "Avengers" two weeks ago. Loved it and can understand how it has become a global phenomenon. 


Saw "Battleship" last week. Liked it. I am perplexed as to why it has done so poorly here in the USA. That said, I also (being a huge fan of Edgar Rice Burroughs) loved the recent "John Carter" movie which by all accounts has been a global flop. Go Figure. 


I saved a small lizard from drowning yesterday. Barely a 1/2 inch long he had fallen into the pool and lay on the surface exhausted from trying (to no avail) to get out. He was so tired he stayed motionless on my hand for at least 5 minutes before he scampered away into the bushes in our courtyard. 


For some reason, my mind flashed back to a time about ten years ago when my good friend and business associate Dick Monroe and I rescued a large sea turtle form the market square in Papua New Guinea. 


Laying upside down on her back and weighing nearly 100 pounds she looked to be at death's door. She was being sold for consumption. After paying about 5 times what a local resident would have had to shell out to eat the poor creature, Dick and I got her into the trunk of our rental car and headed for the local yacht club to put her into the water.


She appeared comatose and as we hefted her out Dick observed that we indeed may have gotten to her to late. 


Let me tell you did we get a surprise for as we approached ocean's edge still 100 feet away her nose began to dilate and her flippers began to move slowly at first and then frantically. 


We barely got her to the water's edge as she tore out of our grasp and plunged into the water and shot out of the harbor at a speed somewhere in excess of that produced by a small outboard motor. 


Laughing and shaking hands we sang a few off beat lines from the song "Born Free" and walked back to the car feeling quite good about ourselves. 


Lori always says, "a saved soul is a saved soul", and if there is one conviction I have come to hold as I have grown older it is this. 


I cannot prove people have souls though I think we do. But if we do all have a soul then so does every living creature on this planet. And that soul is as unique to each lizard, turtle, dog, or deer as it is for each human being. This I do know to be true. 


And now that I have thought about it, I am doubly glad I was there at that moment for that little lizard.  



No comments:

Post a Comment