Sunday, June 26, 2011

Getting Older

I will be 59 years old in September.


I don't feel 59 years old. Physically, I am in great shape capable of running 3-5 miles easily.


My mind doesn't feel old. I like today's music including but not limited to Brittany Spears, Taylor Swift and The Black Eyed Peas.


I like Harry Potter and the Transformer movies.  


I don't feel like I should be thinking about retirement. I am not particularly concerned with my SEP-IRA.


I am not contemplating my demise. Nor am I thinking about a retirement home. 


In point of fact, I am thinking that what I am most fearful of is boredom. I don't want to be bored. 


I have been very fortunate that despite my very humble beginnings I have traveled and seen and worked throughout the world, literally. 


For the first half of professional life I did this in the field of animal protection. Foreign countries and difficult challenges were daily fare for me. 


Since 1995 I have worked in the private sector largely on issues of sustainable use. This has also taken me around the globe to China, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Brazil, Papua New Guinea, South Africa, and many more. In truth I have actually worked in over 50 countries. 


When I was a kid someone who was approaching 60 was old. I have friends and associates in their early 60's looking at retirement and where they intend to "end up". They talk about how all the great actors are dead, John Wayne, Clark Cable, and how Elvis is gone as well as Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin.


I liked all those cultural icons but I also like the ones we have today, like Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp, Daniel Craig, and Harrison Ford and even (old) Clint Eastwood. 


I don't see myself retiring.  One reason is I probably can't afford to and too, even if I could what would I do. 


In my life I have been very fortunate that what I did for a living was pretty much what I loved to do while living. 


Animals, nature, the oceans, remote places, adventure, all appealed to me and I was (and am) fortunate that I managed to earn a decent living pursuing the things that fascinated me.


I can't imagine that not being the case. Maybe in another decade I may slow down but I hope not. I think the key to staying "young minded" is working. I am defined by my efforts not my golf game or the country club or the home in which I live. 


I have had a lot of great adventures, probably more then I deserved. And I have had some pretty great successes.  But I am pretty sure my greatest adventure is still ahead of me. I would like to think my greatest success is just ahead of me as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment