Thursday, February 16, 2012

American Idol

I have from time to time on this blog gone off topic to discuss things that perturb me.


Animal cruelty and the over population of our pets that results in the needless killing of animals deemed surplus, are two subjects that come to mind.


Tonight while channel surfacing I came upon American Idol. You know the show that has given us Carrie Underwood and Jennifer Hudson and Kelly Clarkson. 


I have never watched American Idol, nor the Bachelor, nor any reality show, at least not for more than about 3 minutes.


Tonight there were four contestants all vying to be the next American Idol and this competition had them singing together in a group. They were good, they caught my ear. 


I watched for about 2 minutes and as the song ended and the judges commented I was transfixed as they asked three of the four singers to step forward and declared them to them "you going to the next round" while telling the fourth contestant, "you are done". 


The anguish and pain and humiliation on that individual's face was so painful that it physically hurt.


In a brief moment I had a personal epiphany and it became clear to me why I am so turned off to all forms of reality shows and competitive entertainment. It is cruel and it appeals to our basest instincts and lowest emotions as human beings.


What the hell is wrong with us?


We have become so enamored with seeing the "winner" that we absolutely fail to feel any empathy for the "losers".


When Roman gladiators were cheered for being victorious in the coliseum was any thought given to the pain and suffering that they administered to the scores of bodies they left in their wake as they conquered the arena? 


No, today's players do not forfeit their lives, just their feelings, their dignity, and their dreams. Yes, I know no one makes them participate, or do we? Does the need and desire to be a celebrity in a world where the individual is being reduced to meaninglessness not drive, even compel people to do anything, anything, to be noticed, to be deemed special by society.


I like Carrie Underwood's music, and I like Kelly Clarkson's voice. They are not the problem. I just wish a talent scout had "discovered" them and that they had not reached their pinnacle of success by climbing over the bodies and feelings of the "losers". 


Some philosopher once wrote that, "Man is the only animal capable of rationalization and indeed is the only animal that needs to be able to rationalize".


I recognize that my rant will be deemed silly, even foolish by most.


(Like that ever in my life has ever bothered me). 


I am tired of a cruel and callous world that glorifies success at the expense of empathy. 


I suspect, despite my opinion, American Idol, and all shows of its ilk will continue to flourish. 


Regardless, in my view it is wrong, just wrong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment